Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Zombies - They're everywhere



Zombies, the undead, and an unnatural force of destruction that exists for one purpose: They exist to eat all living things.  These undead civilization destroyers have become more and more pervasive in today’s culture.  The question I am asking is simple: why?  Why have zombies become so popular in American pop culture?  There are video games, books, movies, comic books, TV shows, and even occasional simulation on college campuses around the nation.  What about these creatures is so fascinating?
You might be wondering why this question is important.  My answer is that this question matters because it helps us to understand society.  Where does this fascination with zombies come from?  What does it mean?  Why would an otherwise normal society find the concept of flesh eating undead so fascinating?  These are some of the questions I would like to explore in this blog.  I could look for the answers to these questions several places.  
 I believe that there are many such studies already in place that I can check for more information.  I can also look from commonalities between some of the more popular media with zombies.  Other locations I can look are online for articles and other blogs.
My own thought is that part if the reason we find zombie apocalypses so fascinating is that ultimate survivor character study.  The basic need of many people to root for the underdog trying to survive ridiculous odds is a very compelling story and it is one that is prevalent in the zombie genre.  The ultimate challenge of trying to survive a ravenous horde of zombies trying to eat you is imagery that evokes powerful emotions and hopes with which many people can identify. 
With this blog I hope to further explore this fascinating subject and see just what makes it tick.  

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting topic. The craze seems to interest everyone from younger to older. What is it that makes us want to imagine in such detail what we would do in that situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine what I would do in such a situation as a zombie invasion. well actually I can I would HIDE!!!! I think it is crazy that people have such a fascination with zombies because as humans we like to believe we are all powerful, zombies presents quite the challenge. How does one kill or beat something that is dead? So the fight or flight instinct kicks in. So would it be survival of the fittest or survival of the most scared?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You say that zombies offer the "ultimate survivor character study," but I am curious how they are different from other hypothetical disaster/apocalyptic scenarios such as aliens? Do zombies offer us something different than other mythical creatures such as vampires? What is it about the "deadness" of zombies that lends to their appeal?

    ReplyDelete